blog backdrop

Wednesday 2 March 2016

Lego: A timeless childrens toy??





  In November I attended the Brick Exhibition at the NEC Birmingham with my husband.  He is a massive Lego fan and even at the grand age of 31 years old he is still adding to his collection.  Apparently this is not uncommon for adults and the whole exhibition was based around this and obviously aimed at children as well.

There was a whole area dedicated to Lego fans who had been building magnificent structures in their own home.  Some photos below include a small real life caravan and small worlds.


My husband was in his element wishing that he was able to do this for a job lol what a big kid he is.  I found that I really enjoyed it although not a huge fan of Lego in my youth as I was more into Barbie and Cindy dolls.  I do have a memory of a box that me and my brother had of odd Lego pieces and that my dad built us a Lego house with them.

One of my charges is currently loving Lego particularly star wars Lego and would of loved the large models above.  In the last year he has began to build a very respectable collection and also enjoys the Lego City range.
Love it all hate it Lego has stood the test of time and has held its value.  My husband has always wanted the Lego: Star Wars Death star (original) however on eBay it can be up to £2000 so he needs to keep dreaming for now.  We have a cupboard of Lego old and new and various pieces are creeping up around my house!!! (see photos below)




The top left photo is of hubbys latest addition of a cinema which is pretty cool if I don't say myself and inside has lots of attention to detail as well.

I think the stereotype is that Lego is made for boys and not for girls.  I disagree as it encourages both boys and girls to be creative.  Clearly Lego have aimed at girls with their Lego friends range which supports traditional girl colours of pink and purple to appeal to a new market.  I do not see why this has to be done.  When working in nurseries we just had Lego and both genders would play with it and not a divide. 
My older sister in law is now in her thirties and she was very into Lego as a child, maybe this was an early sign that she was going to be an engineer!  I remember once being with her, my husband and brother in law and they were all sat building some Lego together!  There was probably an issue however to who was doing what as they are all pretty controlling when it comes to building it!

I asked my charge once if he preferred sets of Lego to just free building things he wanted to build (when i was debating to by him a box of Lego pieces or yet another model).  He said he likes abit of both but mainly sets!  His sister although prefers to be more created and does not like "Scripted" toy sets and she is the same way with craft sets.

My final point is that I think it is a great toy for sitting down and working together.  It gives children a sense of accomplishment when they finish it and in my experience keeps them focused on an activity for a period of time.  Children also may find that building Lego is a solidary activity which is fantastic.  Playing together is great but I am a firm believer of them learning to be comfortable in their own company, I certainly was!

What do you think? Do you think Lego is still a tradition boys toy? Do you or would  you buy your daughter Lego?

No comments:

Post a Comment