blog backdrop

Monday 7 March 2016

My Day out at Monkey World, Dorest


In the first of this type of post I will be reviewing family tourist attractions that I have visited.  To note I have not always visited these with children so will state so in my posts but will look at their suitability for families/nanny's taking their charges.

July 2015 and my charges have gone off on holiday for a couple of weeks so taking advantage of this extra time off me and the hubby decide to take a little road trip to Dorset.  We have also fancied going to Monkey World for a while so we thought we would visit on the way to Bournemouth.

I am glad we decided to visit as we would both say it was one of our best days out ever and the weather was perfect as it was nice and warm!  First off the admission price we thought was a bargain at £11 for one adult.  £37 for a family based on 2 adults 2 children.  Check the website for all different price options.


Monkey World is a tourist attraction and that is how they raise most of their money but rather than a conventional zoo they also are a resuce centre and raise and look after animals that cant be in the wide or are endangered.  Me and hubby have recently discovered the tv show based here and fell in love with one of the primates Ben.  When on their website I discovered that you for a small one of fee can adopt a primate for a year.  If you do this as a gift for somebody you receive a gift pack about the chosen animal and also revieve free admission for a year!!  This is well worth doing especially if you plan to visit again in which me and my hubby plan too.
This is me with the cutest monkey in the park.  He made me want to take it home as he stared at me with a very sad expression.  I don't actually think he was sad as the animals here are so well cared for and have lots of open space.  Next best thing to being in the wild.

What is there to do?
  • large open areas
  • amazing viewing towers to gain close access to the animals
  • talks on the different primates
  • large adventure playground
  • Woodland walk which is lovely and chilled out and not to far for little ones to walk
Would I take children here?
Yes absolutely I would although its quite far to travel with my charges I thoroughly recommend it.  My niece would love the monkeys but at two and a half she has a very short attention span so feel maybe its better once a child is 3+.  The adventure playground at the end is perfect for adults to have some respite and a cuppa (hopefully) whilst the little ones let off some steam. 
We were visiting as adults and spent 5 hours here so there is definitely enough to do as a family.

Facilities available

Great picnic areas with plenty of tables to enjoy food with your little ones.  Eating out can be expensive as a family at tourist attractions so I would recommend taking a picnic lunch with you and more nutritious for the more health conscious of us.  There is some options available for snacks and for a treat yummy ice creams.
Nappy Changing and toilet facilities are dotted at regular intervals and I felt were up to a good standard for visiting families.



Good for raining days?
I would definitely recommend a day out here in spring summer as most of the park is open so you would not want to visit with children if the weather was being typically British.  For the adventurous though Monkey World is indeed open all year round so if you don't mind abit of rain and cold you can visit at all times of year.
As we visited early July the park was quiet as the mainstream schools had not broken up for summer yet.  If visiting with under 5s and to avoid the crowds visiting off peak would be a smart idea.

Further infomation
Leaflet for Monkey world
http://www.monkeyworld.org/userfiles/MonkeyWorld2014.pdf

Website-http://www.monkeyworld.org/home.php



Looking forward to going back

No comments:

Post a Comment