blog backdrop

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Edinburgh Zoo-Day Out Review

During our trip we wanted to visit Edinburgh Zoo as my sister in law had heard there was a penguin parade and teamed with the fact it was the only zoo in the UK that housed Koalas and Giant Pandas this sounded to us like a win.  Unfortunately the reality of the experience started to go downhill when we got there about 1.30pm as the receptionist told us the Koala area is closed from 1pm.  I was very disappointed and then she said the Panda part was fully booked for viewings.  I recommend that if you visit here to check ahead of your visit and book the Pandas otherwise you may find yourself annoyed like us!!!

Anyhow I will review this attraction in light of a family visiting as after all I am Nanny Bicester!!

Variety of animals to see
There are was a variety of animals to see including squirrel monkeys, lion, penguin's, meerkats, koalas, pandas, rhino, tiger, wallabies etc. The lion, tiger, rhino I felt were abit sad as they were on their own having no company.  I do understand that all zoos are keeping these animals in an unfamiliar environment but their enclosures felt very small and cramped in comparison to other places I've been too such as London Zoo or Longleat.


Highlights
The meerkats at the beginning were adorable and the penguin parade was good so I recommend that. I will tweet the video that we took whilst there.

Value for money?
Personally I felt that the £19 adult ticket was steep especially when the whole experience was such a let down.  My mum hit the nail on the head when she said "the zoo seems neglected" as it needed some TLC.

Is it Children friendly?
Their were lots of children who seemed to be enjoying the zoo and the animals however as it is on a hillside lots of walking uphill is involved (great views of Edinburgh though!) so expect some moaning from your little ones.  Good luck if you have a buggy although you get some great exercise, my fitbit was loving all the steep inclines!

Interactive features
In an age of modern technology most attractions make apps to use whilst there.  Edinburgh Zoo does have one of these which you can download for free and it does give useful information about the animals.  I like that the app has an explorer trail for children to use to test your knowledge that you learn whilst going around the zoo. 
The photocard section can be a laugh as you can place your face on different animals although I have only just discovered this.
In the actual zoo there are QR scanners to use on your app to bring up the information you need however apart from general information in the areas I didn't feel there was enough interactive things for children to do in the flesh.


Navigation around zoo?
We had a map and there were sign posts but they were confusing and left us unsure if we were going the right way.  Painting some arrows on the floor to the different areas would of helped.

Anywhere to eat
There are many snack kiosk's around the zoo but with exception of the café in penguin rock none of them were open.  I don't know if this is a seasonal thing but its abit annoying if you want to stop and have a coffee when going up the steep hill.  I didn't go in the café so cant comment on this however as I have said in the past I would take lots of snacks if going on a day out with my charges and probably a picnic lunch.

Hope you have found this review helpful? Have you been to Edinburgh Zoo with your little ones? Do you agree/disagree? let me know what you think by tweeting me @nannybicester

Web info
http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment