blog backdrop

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Activity of the week- Storybags

Baskets of Discovery.co.uk

After the success of my treasure baskets blog post I have been wondering how to follow up.  Thanks to all who viewed or shared my blog.

This week I am going to talk about how you can make story time more interesting and exciting by creating a storybag.  Unfortunately I do not have the resources in my house to create one myself so I will talk about how you can make one yourself or if funds allow what's available to buy.

Storybags to buy

Amazon is great as you can buy themed bags and at the bottom of the page they will match up with items to put in them.  Follow the link above to have a look!!

Story Telling Play Masks - Three Little Pigs
Another great website I have come across is http://www.basketsofdiscovery.co.uk/story-baskets/ .  They also do some fantastic music baskets and treasure baskets.

How to make your own
Many years ago when working in nurseries a colleague of mine made a lovely storybag on the theme of the book "Walking through the Jungle" by Julie Lacome. She had made a beautiful felt bag but as not much of a sewer myself as I know many of you will be the same way here are my tips below on how to improvise.
  1. Choose a story, perhaps a favourite of the child.
  2. Find a cheap canvas bag and use parts of fabric/paint to decorate in theme of your chosen story. Why not involve your child in the process?
  3. Use puppets/small cuddly items for example animals that are in the story, items in the story.  If the book was about in the woods you could put items in that you may find in the woods.  If the book was "The hungry caterpillar" you could put fruits in or plastic fruits that the caterpillar eats.
  4. That's it!! Now when telling the story use the props from your storybag with the child to help identify with the story.

Did you find this blog useful? Have you made a storybag before? Have you seen one being used? Did your child enjoy it?

No comments:

Post a Comment