blog backdrop

Tuesday 3 May 2016

Edinburgh Castle-Place to visit with Kids?

My view of the castle from hotel on Princes Street
On my recent girls weekend to Edinburgh I got to visit the beauty that is Edinburgh Castle.  A castle that stands proudly above the city steeped in history you cannot stop but stare at it when walking around the city.  Home to many Kings and Queens of Scotland in history including Mary Queen of Scots to hold the keys to the castle meant you had a great deal of power.

As a nanny and now childcare blogger I am going to look at the castle as not just a tourist attraction for adults but as a family attraction in this blog.


What is there to see and do?
The castle has many areas to visit including the following:
  • old jail
  • martime museum
  • war memorials
  • Scottish crown jewels
  • military hospital
  • old battery
  • old weaponary
What was my favourite part?
The views are amazing!! Also I love seeing the old jail and crown jewels.
Photo taken by Nanny Bicester


Is it expensive?
children under 5 free, children 5-15 £9.60, adult £16 so relative I thought but I think worth it as there is lots to see.  If you are using local sightseeing buses entry maybe including on their tours.

Eating Facilities?
There are two places to eat Redcote CafĂ© which you can get soup, sandwiches and cake amonst other things.  We went to the Queen Anne Tearoom to have a hot drink which does some hot food, hot and cold beverages and even Afternoon Tea for £16 per person!  If we didn't have an Afternoon Tea booked for later in the day I definitely be tempted to have it!! 

What age children is it suitable for?
I would take children 4+  to the castle particularly if they have an interest in history. 
I would also like to mention due to being on a steep slope and lots of stairs any parents/carers of children with disabilities should ring ahead when planning a trip to the castle as it may cause some mobility issues.

Does Edinburgh Castle have an app/interactive tools?
You can get audio guides to listen to as you walk around or listen via the app you can download from your app providers. The legend, ghosts and mysteries section has short sections of information that you can read or listen too which would be good for people with either  audio or visual difficulties as they would have a choice on how to receive the information.
Screenshot taken by Nanny Bicester

Special events?
http://www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk/whatson will give details of special events that are happening at the castle.  In August the The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo will set to pay tribute the Queens 90th birthday see website for more details.

Would I come back?
Yes!! I would love to comeback to Edinburgh and would love to visit the castle again as I feel I missed some parts.  We also found out in the gift shop what clan tartan we belong too.  If you ask in the gift shop around the castle they will use your surname to see what heritage clan you would belong too.




Anything else to mention?
Guided Tours are available for those who wish and have a browse around the gift shop its worth a look although I didn't buy anything but there was some nice items but some over priced!




Do you enjoy my reviews? Do you think they are informative?

Tweet me following the link  twitter.com/nannybicester
Or comment below I would love to have your feedback



No comments:

Post a Comment